IMAGES OF THE LUVERA FAMILY IN ANACORTES

IMAGES OF THE LUVERA FAMILY IN ANACORTES

Here is a collection of photos from the Anacortes History Museum collection regarding the Luvera family

Paul, Anita & Phyllis Luvera 

Anacortes High School 1952 varsity basketball team.Pat Adams, sophomore guard
Gerald Guthrie, junior guard
Tom Rowan, senior guard
Bill Card, senior forward
Don Francin, freshman forward
Dale Brannon, senior forward
Paul Luvera, Jr., junior center (No. 88)
Jim Berentson, sophomore forward
Gale Marrs, sophomore guard
Larry Lunsford, senior guard, team captain
Gordon Hill, senior guard
Duane Breckenridge, senior

Coach Bill Taylor
manager Romaine Soucy

 

Paul & Mary Luvera

Paul and Mary Luvera were married April 7, 1926. Paul was born in Italy in 1898 and died in Anacortes in 1990. Mary was born in Anacortes to Peter and Maria Babarovich in 1905; she died in 2000

Paul Luvera was born in 1898 in Italy to Nicola and Fillippa Luvera. He immigrated to Coleman, Alberta, Canada in 1909, and to Anacortes sometime prior to 1922. Paul married Mary Babarovich on April 7, 1926, and they had three children: Phyllis Luvera Ennes, Anita Luvera Mayer, and Paul Luvera Jr. He opened Luvera’s Grocery on November 22, 1922, on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building at 702 Commercial. The structure was built as the Blackmore Building c. 1890, and was later known as the Hensler Building when it was owned by Gus Hensler. The store had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera’s Fruit and Grocery, Luvera’s Grocery, etc. He retired from the grocery business in 1957 after serving as a Washington State senator from 1952-57. He died in 1990. Paul Luvera Memorial Highway, the State Route 20 spur coming into Anacortes from Sharpe’s Corner, was dedicated in Luvera’s honor in June, 2000.

Luvera’s Market

Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922 on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building, at 702 Commercial. This structure was built c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera’s father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera’s Fruit and Grocery, Luvera’s Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera’s store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. Note the sign for “Dr. Packard, Dentist”; Dr. Lyle Packard began business on the second floor of the Blackmore Building (then known as the Hensler Building) c.mid-1920s. He remained at this location until c.1948 when he relocated to 418-1/2 Commercial.

 

 

Peter (age 76) and Maria (age 74) Babarovich in 1931, parents of Mary Babarovich Luvera [see WF 4116]. Peter Babarovich was born Petar Babarovuch in 1861; Maria was born Marija Vulic in 1863; they married in 1888. Peter immigrated to the U.S. in 1901, Maria followed in 1902 with 5 children; they came from Slitska on the island of Brae in the Adriatic [Dalmatia]. They settled on Sinclair Island and moved to Anacortes c.1904. Peter worked as a fisherman and Maria ran a boarding house from their home at 1108 – 6th Street, catering primarily to fishermen. Peter died in 1935; Maria died in 1953.

Children of Peter and Maria Babarovich. Left to right: Mary Babarovich Luvera (wife of Anacortes grocer, Paul Luvera), Clara Babarovich Bozanich, John Babarovich, Thelma Babarovich Martin. Peter Babarovich was born Petar Babarovich in 1861; Maria was born Marija Vulic in 1863; they married in 1888. Peter immigrated in the U. S. in 1901 and Maria followed in 1902 with 5 children; they came from Splitska on the island of Brac in the Adriatic (Dalmatia). They settled on Sinclair Island and moved to Anacortes c. 1904. Peter worked as a fisherman and Maria ran a boarding house from their home at 1108 6th Street, catering primarily to fishermen. Peter died in 1935; Maria died in 1953. See WF 3452.

Nicola Luvera was born November 23, 1860, to Paola and Rosa Gattuso Luvera in Gallina, near Reggio, Calabria, Italy. He married Fillippa Latella on August 9, 1894. Nicola immigrated to Coleman, Alberta, Canada, in 1901; Fillippa and three children followed in 1909. Nicola’s health problems spurred the family to come to Anacortes in 1918. He worked in his son’s store, Luvera’s Grocery, and the family lived at 2406 24th Street according to the 1937 city directory. Nicola died in Anacortes in 1956. The negative sleeve for this image was marked “Govt”, indicating that it may have been taken for citizenship papers.

Fillippa Latella Luvera was born May 13, 1870, in Pallaro, near Reggio, Calabria, Italy, to Consolato and Antonia Latella. She married Nicola Luvera on August 9, 1894. Nicola immigrated to Coleman, Alberta, Canada, in 1901; Fillippa and three children followed in 1909. Nicola’s health problems spurred the family to come to Anacortes in 1918. He worked in his son’s store, Luvera’s Grocery, and the family lived at 2406 24th Street according to the 1937 city directory. Fillippa died in Anacortes in 1966. The negative sleeve for this image was marked “Govt”, indicating that it may have been taken for citizenship papers.

Paul Luvera giving Student Body President address at Anacortes Highschool graduation 1953

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.